Toggle menu

Do I need planning permission?

Find out what work needs planning permission and what doesn't.

Please note that the Planning Service currently has a short term reduction in available staff and there may be a resultant delay in the processing of your application/enquiry. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause and can assure you that our team are working hard to process cases as quickly as possible.

Work that may need planning permission

You might need planning permission to:

  • build something new
  • extend a property
  • change the use of a property
  • carry out engineering or mining work
  • Add a dormer window to the roof space of your property
  • erect a garage or shed

Work that doesn't need planning permission

Householder Permitted Development

Some small building work to domestic properties might not need planning permission. This is known as 'permitted development'. Examples include:

  • small front porches
  • some extensions or conservatories
  • satellite dishes
  • replacement windows and doors
  • Some dormer windows at the rear of building
  • Some detached garages and sheds

You don't have permitted development rights if you live in a conservation area. Even small changes or developments might need planning permission.

You can check if your alterations are 'Permitted Development' using the Scottish Government's Guidance on Householders Permitted Development Rights.

Non-Householder Permitted Development

Some types of non-householder developments may also benefit from permitted development rights. Examples include:

  • some agricultural buildings
  • some forestry buildings and operations
  • some telecommunication works

You can check if certain non-householder developments are "permitted development" here.

Other permissions you might need

  • Listed Building Consent, if you're altering or extending a listed building
  • Conservation Area Consent, for the total or substantial demolition of certain buildings or structures within a conservation area
  • Advertisement Consent, if you're putting up an advertisement
  • Application for Tree Works, if you intend to carry out works to trees in Conservation Area or trees which a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) is in effect. Find out more about tree works and protections here

You can find out if a building is listed and/or is in a Conservation Area on our online mapping:

Planning, Environment and Conservation Maps

Further information, including help guides on using the online maps, is available on our website

Certificate of Lawfulness

You can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness to receive evidence that an existing or proposed development is lawful and does not require planning permission.

How to apply for planning permission

For all types of applications you should apply on the ePlanning Scotland website. Further details can be found on our website.

Apply online for permission


If you are unsure if your proposals require permission or not, you can submit an online enquiry to the Planning Service.

Submit a planning enquiry