Toggle menu

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding

The Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS AF) is providing support of £400 for energy bills for households in England, Scotland, and Wales without a direct relationship to a domestic electricity supplier. This support is provided by His Majesty's Government and is delivered by local authorities. The scheme is now open to all eligible households across Great Britain until 31 May 2023.


Subject to applications meeting the eligibility criteria, people who will be able to receive support under EBSS AF include:

  • care home residents and others in care facilities (wholly or partly self-funded)
  • park home residents, houseboats and caravans that can provide proof of address
  • social and private tenants who pay for energy through a landlord on a commercial    supply
  • homes on a heat network/private wire
  • off-grid homes
  • farmhouses used for wholly domestic purpose

How to apply

If you are eligible for EBSS AF, you will need to fill out a short online form via the GOV.UK website. This can be found by searching "Apply for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically" into the search bar on GOV.UK or an internet search engine.

Applications are made directly to His Majesty's Government, not to or via the Council. If you do not have online access, you can apply via a contact centre on 0808 175 3287 where a representative will guide you through the application process. (Monday to Friday 08.00 to 18.00).

Once you have applied, your application will be processed and verified. After this if your application is successful, your details will be shared with the Council, who will deliver the one-off non repayable support.

Payment will be made by BACS to the bank details included in your application.  The Council will aim to process eligible applications within 30 days of receipt of all the information required to verify your application.

The scheme opens to new applications on 27 February 2023 and closes on 31 May 2023.  No applications will be accepted after this date.

Where any payment has been made either in error or where a fraudulent payment is made recovery action will be undertaken, and in cases of Fraud a referral may be made to the Police.

Further information can be found on GOV.UK