Toggle menu

COVID-19: latest update on how our services are affected and the support available

COVID-19: latest update on how our services are affected and the support available

EU Settlement Scheme and Exiting the European Union - Brexit

The deadline has now passed but late applications are being accepted.

Wednesday, 30 June 2021, was the deadline for applications to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members, who were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020.

Over 6.07 million applications were received and a total of 5.59 million applications were concluded by 31 July 2021.

By the end of June 2021, across the UK, more than 5.35 million applications were received from England, 291,200 applications from Scotland, 98,600 applications from Wales and 98,400 received from Northern Ireland.

By the end of June 2021, 2.85 million (52% of concluded applications) were granted settled status and 2.33 million (43%) were granted pre-settled status, totalling 5.18 million grants of status. Of the remaining applications, 80,800 (1%) received a withdrawn or void outcome, 79,800 (1%) were invalid and 109,400 (2%) were refused.

Applications made after the 30 June 2021 deadline

58,200 applications have been received since the 30 June 2021 deadline. This includes applications from joining family members, applications from those switching from pre-settled to settled status and late applications.

In line with the Citizens' Rights Agreements, there remains scope for a person eligible for status under the EUSS to make a late application to the scheme where there are reasonable grounds for having missed the deadline.

There is published non-exhaustive guidance on reasonable grounds for missing the deadline on GOV.UK. The Home Office will continue to look to grant status, rather than for reasons to refuse.

An application must be made for every eligible child within a family. Parents should check if they need to apply on behalf of their children, even if they have already applied and been granted a status themselves.

To provide further reassurance to late applicants the government will protect their rights until their application and any appeal is decided. More information can be found on GOV.UK.

Pending applications

Applicants who have made an application will be issued with a certificate of application, which can be relied on to evidence their rights in the UK.

Certificates of application are available to applicants by signing into the View and Prove service. Those who submitted a paper application will have a certificate of application sent to them.

Landlords and employers can also use the Home Office view and prove service to confirm protected rights for an individual where they have a digital status. If the individual has a physical certificate of application, landlords and employers can call the government's checking services to confirm the individual's right to rent or work. Landlords and employers can find more information on GOV.UK.

The Home Office has also increased the number of Settlement Resolution agents and caseworkers to help conclude applications as quickly as possible. Most complete applications are still being decided within five working days.

How to access and update digital status

You can view your EUSS status online, via the view and prove your immigration status service.

Please refer to the following guide for further information about using your digital status: 'Your immigration status: an introduction for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens'.

Switching from pre-settled status to settled-status

If you hold pre-settled status, you can apply to switch to settled status as soon as you're eligible. This is usually after you've lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 5 years in a row (known as 'continuous residence').

You do not need to have held pre-settled status for 5 years before you can apply to switch to settled status. If you have spent more than 6 months outside the UK in a 12-month period, you may not be eligible for settled status.

To switch, you must apply to the EUSS again before your pre-settled status expires. For further information, please refer to the guidance available on GOV.UK.

Travel Documents

As restrictions on travel are lifted, it is even more important individuals with status under the EUSS update their UKVI account with all valid travel documents (such as passports or national identity cards) they hold and intend to use for travel, to avoid any unnecessary delays at the UK border. They can do this online by going to

National Identity Cards at the border

From 1 October 2021, the UK will no longer recognise EU, EEA and Swiss national identity cards for travel and entry to the UK, so you will need a passport to travel to the UK. This will not apply to those EU, EEA and Swiss nationals whose rights are protected by the Withdrawal Agreement, including those with status under the EU Settlement Scheme, frontier workers, S2 Healthcare Visitors and Swiss national Swiss Service Providers, who will still be able to use national identity cards for travel until 31 December 2025 at least.

Key points to remember about the EU Settlement Scheme

Eligible close family members living overseas at 31 December 2020 can apply to join an EU, EEA or Swiss family member who started living in the UK by then. More information on joining family members can be found on GOV.UK.

An application must be made for every eligible child within a family. Parents should check if they need to apply on behalf of their children, even if they have already applied and been granted a status themselves. See GOV.UK

Help with your application.

A range of support is still available to those who need help to apply after the deadline. If you or anyone you know needs help with an application, please either go to or contact the Settlement Resolution Centre on 0300 123 7379 or from outside the UK  +44 (0) 203 080 0010. Alternatively, you can ask a question in writing by email.

Two other organisations that will assist EU citizens applying to the EU Settlement Scheme are Citizens Advice Scotland and the EU Citizens' Rights Project.

UK and Scottish Governments and South Ayrshire Council have produced the following useful guidance about the UK leaving the EU that will help people and businesses:

There are also a number of other useful links with Brexit information, advice and guidance.