Toggle menu

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It's administered by the Department for Work and Pensions, and replaces a number of benefits, including Housing Benefit, for most working age people.

Claim Universal Credit on GOV.UK or call the DWP helpline 0800 328 5644.

If you are new to Universal Credit or need help understanding it visit Understanding Universal Credit.

Help to claim

If you need help to make a claim for Universal Credit, you can contact citizens advice Scotland. In some cases the Department for Work and Pensions will refer you for assistance from Citizens Advice Scotland. However, you can also contact them direct.

They can be contacted at 0800 023 2581 or at Further information can also be found on the CAS website.

Details about where additional assistance is located can be found on our digital access and support directory.

Managing your money

Universal Credit will be paid monthly into your bank account. This means you'll have to start managing your money across the whole month. You will find it useful to set up Direct Debits and standing orders for bills like your rent and utilities.

Your housing costs will be included in your monthly Universal Credit payment. It will be your responsibility to pay the full amount to your landlord directly every month. For more information, please see the government's Housing Costs and Universal Credit page.

To help manage your rent and make a rent payment arrangement, please contact your local Housing office on 0300 123 0900. If you need help with budgeting contact the Information and Advice Hub.

You can still claim Council Tax Reduction from us if you need help to pay your Council Tax.